I wanted to put my DMX tower on a hinge so I could easily pull it up and down. Unfortunately even though I sell DMX towers, the price of the hinge is CRAZY! The hinge stubs cost ~$600 retail, so I decided to make my own. As the song goes "I stole this from a hockey card", I actually saw this solution on a popular Canadian antenna forum. I would provide a link except that forum is super anal about external links so why should I help them. The userid was "mrvanwinkles". Brilliant idea. On a side note, years ago I put up a HD8800 for the first time and I actually received Utica stations that morning for 3 hours (from Ottawa). I posted it in that forum, on the local reception thread. It was promptly deleted by the "moderator". Why? Because "he didn't want to give new users false expectations". Now that is moderation!
The idea behind this hack is to drive the spikes, mount the tower on the short pipes. It will be more than enough strength. For a bracketed tower it is similar idea to the provided spikes. For a self supporting tower you will also need bracketing and/or cement due to windload requirements. I will cement and bracket in my case.
I bought 4 Simpson EZ spikes. They are the similar to the box store ones but stronger and welded (12 gauge),not adjustable, and about the same price. Ordered them from Preston Hardware in Ottawa. Used grade 8 - 4" x 1/2 bolts. The short pipe is a very thick pipe I found in my junk pile. I cut them at 12" each. I mount the bolt though the pipe 1 inch from the end. Once in place I will mark the position of the tower holes, drill more holes and use 6 grade 8 - 3" x 1/2 bolts to attach to the tower. I also use 2 cm spacer pipe I cut from a smaller pipe in my junk pile. I will actually use the 4th spike to mount my hand winch for the tower.
BURYING THE SPIKE Pounded the spikes, Positioned the legs. Marked where the holes should be. Drilled the holes. Repositioned the transition legs. Forced them tight with pipe clamps. Screwed in tight with 6 @ grade 8 3 1/2"x1/2" bolts. Released all clamps, repositioned the tower top (from the roof) until plumb bob was perfect. Remounted roof bracket. Added 4th post at rear for the winch post. As it is now that tower is solid. Next digging and extra cement for the base to lock it all in.